Moving from college to uni

If your child does an HNC or HND course at college, they can get entry into 2nd or even 3rd year of university.

Choosing the right Course

It’s important to plan ahead. Colleges have agreements with universities to make the transition easier, allowing people who have completed an HN qualification to move into a degree with "advanced standing", i.e. entry at year two or even year three.

If your child has a university course in mind, and is considering starting their higher education study at college, check out if there are any college courses that will qualify them and if there are any agreements in place.

It is still possible to move from an HNC or HND to university if there are no agreements in place, but this might mean that the young person has to begin the degree course at year one. This can have an impact on funding.

You can find this out from the college. It’s always a good idea to speak to college guidance staff, even before your child applies. They can advise you on the best options. Just phone up the college reception and they can put you in touch with someone who can help.

We also produce a booklet, called 'Stepping Higher', that explains the process in more detail and explains all of the options in your local area.

Sorting out the Money

Funding an HNC or HND is pretty simple (see 'Specfic Issues'). As above, the college or school will be there to help. The only thing to watch out for is when they move on to do their degree.

SAAS, the people who provide money for students, will usually only fund HNC/HND students going to university from their second year onwards. If they are starting in second year, that’s no problem. However, if they start in first year, they might not be funded for the whole course.

SAAS encourages young people and their parents to get in touch if they are unsure. Alternatively, ask the college for help!