Specific Questions - Disabilities, Care, Benefits

People with Disabilities, Benefits, Carers, Care Leavers, HNC/HND

This section explains briefly what help is available. If you have specific issues or questions, it’s worth discussing them with the college or the university support services.


You can find out more or get advice from They might point you in the direction of:

See also: SKILL information booklets


Can students claim benefits?

Probably not. As full time students get other types of funding, they don’t generally qualify for other benefits. Sometimes they can claim if they are Disabled, Parents or Carers.

Can I still claim child benefits if they study?

You may still be able to claim benefits if your child is 19 or Younger and Enrolled in Further Education like SVQs, Highers, NCs or in other approved training.

In both cases the rules can be pretty complicated so it’s best to seek advice from your benefits advisor, citizens advice bureau or college / university.

See also: CPAG information

Young Carers and Care Leavers

If your child is a carer, and enters full time education, they may lose their carers allowance. However, they may be entitled to other help. See Carers UK’s Guide and Princes’ Trust Help

Care leavers are also entitled to extra help, particularly from Buttle Trust Grants and student services. See also: UCAS guide

HNC /HND to Degree Funding

If they complete an HNC/HND and want to go on to do a degree, they will only be funded from the second year of their new course. The rules are complicated so Ask SAAS directly to find out if they would be entitled. See also our guide 'College to Uni'.